Friday, February 16, 2007

A trip round my childhood's neighbourhood

I saw the stage in my church kindergarten
where i danced
with two buns on my head

I saw the now abandoned swimming pool
where i clung so tight
to the instructor
and would not let go

I saw my primary school's assembly hall
and wondered
how all our butts could have fitted in then

I saw the monkey bar beside its pond
from where i fell
and grazed my knee
- my first 'big' injury that scared me

I saw the path my grandma and mum
always took me
to the nearby shopping centre
- it felt like they were taking me around the world

I saw the window of my old bedroom
from where i peeped
at the familiar faces and
imagined stories of their lives

I saw my grandmother's face
reaching her home
the playpen of my childhood
and we both smiled today

No comments: