Monday, December 25, 2006

g l o r y ?












In the past two months, i had received these awards - Certificate of Participation in my church's Youthnet's Young Preachers Contest, Medal of Completion in taking part in Standard Chartered Half-Marathon, and Outstanding Life Coach medal in Trybe (formerly Thumbs-up!) Inaugural Life Coaching Programme.

I am indeed very glad to receive such honours, but they are no way near to be framed up and hung on my walls. I even at times forgot that i had gotten them! =p Let me explain why:

1. Yes, i could have felt proud and happy simply looking at these awards. But they do not give me true joy; they do not fill the void of my heart.

2. The mere satisfaction from getting these final prizes do not help me to grow. It is what i had gained and pushed myself to achieve from the experiences that allow me to grow to be better and better. These refer to:

^ Overcoming my fears and inconfidence to stand before a crowd and preach my best.

^ In mental strength, beating my body to finish a race with the goal in mind right from the beginning.

^ Giving myself to love and journey with my life coachees, beyond physical tiredness and moments when it was hard to love.


3. In all the three journeys above that i had taken steps of faith to embark on, i had sought God and started out in f e a r and t r e m b l i n g...

^ I almost 'died' just before the Young Preachers' Contest. I felt so incompetent to preach. What's more, it took me one whole night to dare to inform Ps Yueh Ping that i wanted to try out the contest. And the week after that, i just wanted to cry at the thought of it. Hee.

^ I never like running!

^ I remembered it was so hard to say 'yes' to be a Life Coach, as much as my heart wanted. The life coaching journey clashed with the duration with my part-time studies which took up two nights each week.


^ So why did i make myself go thru' such anguish? Because God wanted me to take these up for Him. And He did not leave me alone; He encouraged and strengthened me through all the journeys. Jesus was the reason that i could finish them strong and well!

^ Thank God for the spiritual family too. They were always with, and for me. Having them to keep me in check made me feel safe to venture beyond my weaknesses, and abilities. =)


Self-glory from these awards? I wouldn't dare to claim. Anyway, 'heaven and earth (including my awards) will pass away, and only God and His words are eternal' (Matthew 24:35). All glory to God, and i am ready for more challenges ahead!


Thank you for believing in me. =)


* * *
You can read more here on my journeys in:
Young Preachers' Contest
Standard Chartered Half-Marathon
Trybe Life Coaching

No comments: