Tuesday, May 29, 2007

What did my actions communicate?

This afternoon I chanced upon this devotional based on the scripture

Let us have real warm affection for one another as between brothers ... (Romans 12:10, Phillips)

The author goes on to say:
Genuine warmth is communicated more by our actions than by what we actually say. Speaking the right words will most likely be totally ineffective if our body language reflects condemnation or impatience or if we seem distracted or unfocused.

A caring tone of voice, eye contact, non-possessive touch, pleasant facial expressions, friendly gestures and a relaxed stance impart a sense of warmth and caring. A warm voice and a caring touch can bring peace and calmness to a brokenhearted person.


I was reminded of an incident last Saturday when a dear girl was pouring out her sorrows over things at home to me. But I chose the wrong timing and setting, and found myself looking away a few times to check if the programme i was overseeing was over. And once i saw the students flowing out, i said an abrupt 'Sorry dear... give me a minute', brisked off to attend to matters, and..... never got back to our talk till we were standing on the mrt platform near our homes. :S

Just now i smsed her to apologise for these
, even though she did not express any sense of negligence or rejection.

I thank God for reminding me the importance of not just having sincere concern for someone, but most crucially, showing it
.

I admit that sometimes I still have allowed myself to be sucked into the hurricane pace of life and getting work done in Singapore.

I am deeply sorry for those times when I expressed irritation and impatience to my mother when she asked me to help her with something the moment i plonked my tired body on the sofa after coming home.

O Lord, help me to fix my eyes on the person who needs me and give me the compassion and deep sensitivity to his/her needs, so that I will be focused on the promptings of the Holy Spirit to minister to him/her through warm and sincere gestures of affection.


To my cherished loved ones and friends, i am sorry if i have shown disinterest or unfocus when you speak to me. The truth is, i really care.

And i am learning still to be a better and focused listener. My attention spans are quite short.

Please do not stop coming to me and go to a teddy bear instead.


Anyway i know you won't. =p Heehee.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're a great listener and you've always been a great help and comfort to me! Laughs, do you know that I actually prefer to go to a teddy bear instead? I thought its the best remedy to vent my unhappiness. Sometimes pouring out to a human makes me feel uneasy. Anyway, I have a fetish in talking to myself. Laughs.
:)
I<3YOU! very dearly, lovely. xxxx