Tuesday, July 29, 2008

His Compassion for strangers

The 40-day prayer booklet this year focuses much on caring for the poor and needy, and the Lord led me through it not just through His word, but by bringing to me the poor and needy themselves.

In the past 1.5 weeks i encountered two strangers with teary eyes.

1. Was prompted to speak with a male youth at the busstop after a school's opening event, and though i felt he was skeptical about me who had only said hi and made small talks, he related that he came to the event's photography exhibition to support his late brother's photographs.

With tears in his eyes, he told me, "it was my brother's greatest wish to hold a photography exhibition, and he did it".

2. During an outdoors activity that my organisation Trybe conducted for another school, i was stationed at an elderly care home. This old man who had previously asked me for a cup of water, later came to sit beside me, looked into my eyes and said,

"I am very lonely here... i am deaf, nobody talks to me. I can't hear anything, i can't eat whatever and whenever i like as at home... Can you help me to call for someone to bring me home....."

His eyes were watery. My heart ached for him a lot, but i was helpless of what i could do for him. He could not hear my words of comfort too. I patted his hands and tried to articulate my words to him, and after a while he thanked me and walked away.

I made my way to the car (my colleague's) and drove away in tears.


O Lord, continue to soften my heart with Your compassion.



My boss tried to encourage me through this verse:
Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it. (Hebrews 13:2)

He said that might probably be the best i could do for each of them, though i felt like i had been selfish and not done anything for them at all. Thank you Boss. :) Nonetheless this will still be a good time of self reflection! Yeah

No comments: