Tuesday, October 04, 2005

What do you hear when God sings?

What do you hear when you imagine the voice of God singing?

I hear the booming of Niagara Falls mingled with the trickle of a mossy mountain stream.
I hear the blast of Mt. St. Helen’s mingled with a kitten’s purr.
I hear the power of an East Coast hurricane and the barely audible puff of a night snow in the woods.
And I hear the unimaginable roar of the sun, 865,000 miles thick, 1.300,000 times bigger than the earth, and nothing but fire, 1,000,000 degrees centigrade on the cooler surface of the corona.
But I hear this unimag­inable roar mingled with the tender, warm crackling of logs in the living room on a cozy winter’s night.

I stand dumbfounded, staggered, speechless that he is singing over me—one who has dishonored him so many times and in so many ways. It is almost too good to be true.

He is rejoicing over my good with all his heart and all his soul. He virtually breaks forth into song when he hits upon a new way to do me good.


(Dr. John Piper in The Pleasures of God)

No comments: